Our 1892 Queen Anne Victorian inn is located in the town of Taylorville, a central Illinois community in Lincolnland. Taylorville was sometimes referred to as “the last stop” by Lincoln and his cohorts; it was the last place Lincoln traveled to on his circuit. Lincoln and his fellow lawyers, including Stephen A. Douglas, rode the 8th judicial circuit.
Our courthouse, now part of the Christian County Historical Museum, was the site of many Lincoln trials. The Courthouse, built in 1839, has been totally restored, using the original architectural specifications for construction. Interior furnishings echo other old courtrooms of the period. The museum complex also includes other buildings of the period as well as a local history museum.
The Taylorville Courthouse
Recently Christian County further restored the lovely courthouse by exposing a spectacular glass dome that had been hidden by a false ceiling. The courthouse is the center of town square, flanked by a number of shops and restaurants. Come and check out our historic town, where Lincoln exerted his political influence. We look forward to seeing you at our Illinois Bed and Breakfast!